Skip to main content

On Sledding...and Zombies

You know those moments when your imagination just takes over? Like when you are sitting somewhere, daydreaming, and random thoughts that make no sense start wandering through your head. Like maybe you were watching The Fast & The Furious again last night and you start wondering what it would be like to steal cars, like maybe that BMW over there, and then suddenly you have concocted an entire scenario in your head and the cops are chasing you while you fly down the BQE at night and its raining or maybe snowing, and the radio is blasting some 80's dance number through your open windows.

Yeah, like that.

So after drills class this morning, I sat down on the 6 train next to a woman with two bags full of food from Trader Joes. And as she reaches into one of the bags to pull out a handful of blueberries to snack on, I have this thought: If the subway gets stuck between stations for hours and hours, at least I am near someone with food. Perhaps she will share her blueberries. And then I think, well if some major disaster occurs, like the Zombie Apocalypse, and it is every woman for herself, I can just take her bags of food. I am smaller than her but I could just jump on her back, choke her out and steal her Trader Joes stash. You know, if it came to that. Like if the zombies were everywhere.

By the way, I don't think the bow & arrow choke would work on a zombie. Despite what this t-shirt might say:

20130211_130625.jpg

But back to the point. I have a very active imagination. Also, I really don't like being stuck on the subway.

Yesterday we took Maya sledding again. It was a huge improvement over the first day. (If you are not sure what I am talking about, read this: http://mamommyarchives.blogspot.com/2013/02/snow-is-fun-dammit.html) By the end, not only was she sledding down the hill on her little blue saucer all by herself, but she was having a blast doing it!

The sledding hill in a NYC park is a fascinating place, especially for those of you who, like me are trying very hard to let your kids just be kids. Despite school shootings. And random kidnappings. And zombie invasions. It is really hard to helicopter parent on a snowy hill. You can try. You can set it up with one parent at the top for positioning, and the other at the bottom for catching. You can map out a perfectly straight, ice-free, run. You can teach your child how to steer, how to dig her feet into the snow to slow down, and when to bail off the sled entirely. You can do all this but she will still wind up zooming face first into a tree. (How the hell did that happen?) He will still wind up tumbling off his sled and sliding down the bottom half of the hill on his butt instead. There will be rocks. And slippery spots. And the endless collisions with other sledders who for some reason always insist on climbing back up the hill directly in your kid's path. And then there is that little boy who stops right at the bottom of the hill to investigate a hole in the snow with the toe of his boot. O M G! Move out of the way! CRASH!

In other words, sledding is awesome!

I mean, an overactive mind will see broken limbs, concussions, and long nights in the ER getting multiple stitches.  But if you can get past that, a sledding hill is a truly wonderful place to be a kid.

Its a wonderful place to be a mommy too. And by the way, for those of you who, like me, wish parents spent less time judging each other and more time helping each other, go sledding. In an hour and a half on the hill I saw people trade sleds, share snacks, and catch each other's children. Total strangers. At one point, Matthew grabbed another kid by the arm to keep him from hitting the rocks. Yes, my husband, (a man!), touched another child's arm in the park. You know what his mother said? Thank you.

Its amazing what happens when people are reasonable.

Thankfully, Maya made it out in one piece. And this time when I asked her how it was she said, "It was great, mommy!"

Thank god!
Mission accomplished.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it