Skip to main content

Yes, I Do The Elf Thing

Those of you who know me might be surprised to learn that I leaped out of bed at 6:45am this morning in a panic. And no, I had not been awoken from a nightmare, nor had I finally figured out why my triangle choke doesn't work and couldn't wait to try it out. (Despite living in a house with two obsessed jiu-jitsu practitioners, this does not happen often.) No, the reason for my hurry was that I had forgotten to hide the damn elf! Again.

On Wednesday, when I last forgot about the little red gal (my daughter says our elf is female), my husband distracted Maya while I quickly stashed her inside a photo album on my dresser. This morning, thankfully, she was still in her room so I had time to stick the elf inside one of the kitchen cabinets with only her creepy little head pointing out.

We are not a religious family. There is no mention of Jesus around the holidays, nor do we tell magical stories about oil that burns for a week. We never did the whole Santa thing, so at a very young age Maya already knew that her Christmas presents came from her mommy, daddy and a wondrous place called Toys R' Us. (Don't worry we did inform her that under no circumstances is she allowed to tell her friends this.) 

But one day last December, something compelled me to go to the store and buy a little red elf which I would then be required to hide somewhere creative every night. In other words, I purchased a daily project.

But actually, I like the little thing.

Ok, I don't like the elf itself. Her bright eyes and half smile remind me a bit of Chucky from Child's Play. But I do like the whole elf hiding thing. And not because it is a good way to get Maya to behave herself around the holidays. In fact, we kind of glossed over that part of the story. I am pretty sure all I told Maya was that the elf returns to the North Pole every night and then comes back and wreaks havok inside our home. And I am not even sure if I got that part right.

Maya is a child who asks questions about everything. I am pretty sure she knows I hide the elf just like she knows that it is me who hides her Easter eggs every year. But she doesn't ask because she doesn't care. She likes waking up and wandering around the house in search of her elf. She giggles when there is a little bit of red poking out of her Lego box, or when the elf is caught with cookie crumbs on her hands. She doesn't want to know if it is real or not, she just likes the fun of it all. 

Even if Maya came right out and said "Mommy I know it is you and daddy who hide my elf" I would still do it. It is my version of the dinosaur game, those awesome parents who set their kids' dinosaur toys up in elaborate settings for them to discover every morning. (Don't know what I am talking about? Google "dinosaur toy parents". These folks rock!)

I will admit that a lot of parenting is a pain in the butt. But the Elf on the Shelf is easy. It makes my daughter smile. It takes five minutes. (Less, if I have forgotten to do it overnight and need to quickly stash her somewhere.) I have read the complaints. I have seen the anti-elf blog posts. But for me, its a no brainer. If only I could remember to do it. 

On another note, my daughter finally has her first loose tooth. So who is this tooth fairy anyway? Where does she live? What does she look like? How much money does she leave per tooth? I need to have all the answers ready. 

Like I said, Maya asks a lot of questions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it