Skip to main content

Grow!

See that schedule over there? Don't worry if you can't read it, the words aren't important. Just notice how many classes there are. That is all the classes, both adults and children, that we had in our first official month of running a dojo. Ten. Ten classes. Isn't is cute? And lest you think we were being lazy, let me point out that we had no idea what we were doing. And were both still working in other jobs. Oh, and our teacher had just passed away. So those few classes a week were kind of a big deal back then.


This is our current schedule. We don't even teach all of them. Some of them are taught by our assistant instructors. Some of them say funny words like "strength and conditioning" or "Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu". Some of them actually say that we accept 3 year olds! (Clearly a typo.)

In February of 2005 we were renting a small room inside a yoga studio. And now, in December of 2013. we are renting a storefront space on Columbus Ave. We have over 200 active, enrolled students. 

The point of all this is not to brag about how great we are. If you read this blog regularly, you know that I attribute our success mostly to luck. That and the fact that we have awesome students. 

No, my point is actually to brag about how great my husband is. 

We did a million things wrong in the beginning. But, as anyone who has ever been a teacher knows, the best way to get better at teaching is to have a classroom full of wide eyed, fidgety kids staring up at you every day. (Or grownups. You would think they would fidget less.) 

Matthew is a great instructor because he is constantly thinking about how to be one. He is constantly evolving, growing and learning. He is never satisfied with just phoning it in. (Ok, there was that one time he had the flu and still went in and taught 6 classes. That day he may have just sat there and counted.)

He inspires students to grow. He inspires me to grow. (I wish it was working! Have you seen me, I am pretty damn tiny!) 

He is not the only reason our dojo has grown. I work pretty hard too. But he is the reason our adult program has grown. I don't teach anyone who is taller than me. 

Today my husband will be be bringing three students to take a class with his jiu-jitsu instructor. If all goes well, at the end they will be awarded BJJ blue belts. 

In March, he will be sending four students up for their Shodan karate promotion. They will be the biggest group from our dojo to go at once, and contain the first who have trained exclusively in our Columbus Ave. space.

They say if you are not growing you are dying.

From where I sit, we are alive and well!
Congratulations honey!
Oh yeah, and Osu I guess.
What is that, you ask? Why that is a Chia Pet Barak Obama. 
Because I know all this mushy love stuff makes some of you uncomfortable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it