Skip to main content

Open

A few days ago Matthew and I got a huge compliment from a fellow martial artist whom we like and respect very much. He commented on our commitment to our training and our teaching. He talked about our strong drive to make the dojo succeed. Finally he gave us credit for being open minded towards our training. 

(Oh and he said we were doing a good job as parents. But that's for another blog post.)

I was incredibly flattered by this person's words. We do work really hard to make the dojo succeed. But that is because it is our livelihood and our passion. Neither one of us have any interest in doing something else with our lives right now. So we need the dojo to work. Also, we have built a wonderful community of students, a family if you will, and are now responsible for keeping them together. 

Do I enjoy teaching all the time? Of course not; any more than I enjoy training all the time, or being a mommy all the time. There are frustrating days. Disappointing days. Days when the kids aren't listening. Days when I just don't feel well. But most of the time it is great, and even when it isn't, I am always proud to be doing it. Teaching karate, for me, is truly meaningful work. It is worth the stress of trying to keep a business running on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It is worth the lack of a consistent paycheck, a long term retirement plan. We don't take many vacations. We don't care. We don't care because it is 10am on a Thursday and I am home writing this blog. Later on I will go to jiu-jitsu. Then pick up my daughter from school. It is a good life, and I am thankful for it every day.

As far as being open minded goes, I cannot take full credit for that either. I started training in BJJ because I was getting bored in karate. I had no intention of quitting, but I wanted to try something new, to be a white belt again. I did not know at the time that the two martial arts would actually enhance each other, that taking  jiu-jitsu class would make me want to take karate class, and vice versa. 

I know that now.

After 3 years of BJJ, and 25 years of karate, I can say that yes, I now have an open minded view of training. I can also say that a lot of the stuff that instructors out there are spewing is, to put it bluntly, a load of crap. Not the training. The words. The questions. The arrogance.

I love karate. I have loved it for 25 years. And in that time I have seen all forms of traditional Japanese karate. I have seen Kyokushin and Shotokan and Gojo Ryu. I saw my own style go from Seido Karate to Kenshikai, and then watched as one of the leaders of Kenshikai went off to form his own style. Guess what? They are all the same. Oh sure, the styles of sparring may be different. The dojo philosophy may vary from school to school. Some dojos may do more pushups, others more meditation. But deep down it is all the same. We are all punching and kicking and blocking. My karate is not better than your karate. My school is not better than your school. 

Unless, of course, your sensei is a jerk. It is the teachers that mess it up. They are the ones who create students who think that the only thing that matters is winning. They are the ones that create bullies like Johnny from the Karate Kid. They are the ones that cultivate environments where woman are not welcome, disrespected, or god forbid, raped. There is no bad karate, only bad karate instructors.

I have not been doing BJJ for long but I am willing to bet it is not that different. Schools vary. Attitudes vary. One teacher's style may be better than another's. One school's environment may be more conducive to learning. (Read: less face smashing, more slow rolling) But, arm bars are arm bars.

Everyone always wants to know which is better, karate, jiu-jitsu, kung fu? Which is more effective? Which one is going to ensure that you win a fight?

It is a stupid, stupid question. Yes, if someone attacks you on the street a rear naked choke is more useful than a roundhouse kick. But who cares?

Are you planning on starting a fight? If so, please warn me so I can be as far away from you as possible. 

Unless it is run by an abusive, egomaniac (read: Lloyd Irvin), all dojos are good.
Unless you are hurting yourself (or others) unnecessarily and ending up in the ER every weekend (read: Crossfit), all training is good.

Anything you do that improves your body is good.
Anything you do that increases your knowledge is good.
Anything you do that broadens your mind is good.

I am not saying that a new white belt should train in multiple dojos at once. On the contrary, when you are just starting out, it is good to pick a place, and a style, and stick with it. Loyalty and consistency are extremely important, especially in the beginning. Dojo hopping is not only offensive, it is downright confusing!

But once you are a black belt, we should all train together. And if we can check our egos at the door and show up with a gi and an open mind, we can all train together. Competitors, non competitors, old, young. There is always something to be learned and if you can't see that, than YOU are the one with the problem. 

Also, there is a fine line between respect and worship. There is a fine line between leadership and forming a cult. Please don't cross it. 

In other words, I can carry my own bag. 
But yes, you can bring me a plate of food. Because I kick a lot and my legs are tired.

Wanna read more about how to do it wrong? Read this: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2013-12-05/news/ufc-trainer-lloyd-irvin-cult/full/. Then pass it on. 

They teach kids at his school.
Perhaps if enough people read it, they won't be able to anymore. 

Comments

  1. Yes yes yes yes yes - to the "anything you do that improves your body is good."
    I lost 80+ lbs. My only advice to people: make healthier choices today than you did yesterday. They don't even have to be HEALTHY - just healthIER. You don't like weights - great - don't do them. You don't like BJJ - great - don't do it. You love tae-bo or zumba or cross fit - cool. Keep on keepin on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it