Skip to main content

A Dog, Career Day, and How Is it NOT Wednesday Yet??

Sometimes, when I am trying to come up with things to blog about, I reread my old posts. I suppose you could say it gives me perspective. Sometimes I reread my old posts for no other reason than because I can. (Meeeeeeeeee!) This morning, while browsing through March of 2013, I realized that I am, much like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day, about to relive the exact same week all over again. 

Last year, at this time, there was a Sensei/Kyoshi promotion going on. Maya was getting ready for Career Day at her school. Chloe (the dog) was trying to eat my breakfast. (http://mamommyarchives.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-dog-career-day-and-other-randomness.html)

Today is March 24th. This afternoon Maya and I are going to splatter paint on one of my old shirts so she can wear it this Wednesday for Career Day. (This year, she wants to be an artist.) And then, Wednesday evening, we begin another Sensei/Kyoshi promotion. Another year, another bear to subdue. (http://mamommyarchives.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-first-rule-about-sensei-promotion.html)

(Chloe, obviously, has not changed a wink.)

This year it is a little different of course, because it is actually my promotion. 

So I have to fight the bear.
Among other things.

I am not really nervous about the karate part. I know karate. I will most likely make a few mistakes, due to nerves and the fact that it is past my bedtime. But I do not mind, I am not expecting perfection. It is the unknowns that put a knot in my stomach. Like my shoulder, which is entirely unpredictable. Some mornings I wake up and feel great, other times I can barely turn my head to the left. Training, sleeping funny, or simply riding the subway can set it off. I won't know what I am working with until Wednesday afternoon. 

Also, these damn kids keep coughing at me. Teaching class is like a scene out of 300, with germs flying through the air from every direction.  That and the fact that Spring in NYC seems to mean 25 degrees and windy, means there is a very good chance I wake up with the flu. There is not enough Purell in the world to combat a snot-ridden four year old who chews his fingers in class.  (His name is Jake. He is really sweet. And germy.)

Did I mention its cold outside. Also, we might get some snow. Which means the dojo is going to be freezing. You know what is great for sore neck muscles? Sitting on the floor for 3 hours in a cold room. 

We also have three students going for first degree black belt this week. They are rock stars and are going to be fabulous, but that does not make me any less nervous for them. 

You know what is great for sore neck muscles? Sitting on the floor for 3 hours in a cold room, while feeling slightly tense the whole time. 

All complaints aside, I think this week is going to be great. If it would just get going already. I thought that Wednesday was just the day after Tuesday, but now I am pretty sure they added a few more days in there just to mess with me. Seriously, this has been the longest week ever.

Yeah, I know it is only Monday. 
That's the point!

Right now there is nothing to do but wait. And train. Very, very carefully. And try not to breathe on the subway.

Here is a bear:



I am thinking of jumping on his back and attempting to choke him out, BJJ style. 

What do you think?

P.S. Anyone have a machete I could borrow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it