Skip to main content

Enough!

I wasn't going to do this. Honestly, I wasn't. After all, it is Valentines Day, the day of candy and flowers. But as I had nothing much to do yesterday but "dick around on the Internet", I have now seen far too many Facebook posts. So I'm going there.

Hey New York, shut the hell up!

I agree, snow is a pain. I too have been fighting depression and cabin fever all month, and actually danced a little jig when I saw the bright shining orb in the sky this morning. So if you had to trudge your way to work at 9am yesterday I feel for you. Honestly.

But the whole schools thing? Enough already!

True, my child's school is two blocks away. So taking her there was no biggie. If we had to commute farther I would have...wait for it....kept her ass home! Its called making a choice. I do not need the school chancellor to do it for me. 

As for the teachers who had to go in, I say reward them by allowing them to scrap the stupid core standards for the day and letting them teach whatever the hell they want. In other words, let them use their brains! Be creative. Get out the paper mache. Have some fun. Stop complaining that you are just "babysitting".

Oh wait. It was only the Internet that was whining. Actually most of the teachers I know were proud of themselves. They made the best of a shitty situation by doing their jobs and teaching the 4 kids who managed to show up. Or they were snowed in and couldn't get to work. Which is fine too. 

You teachers rock! Seriously.

Here is the list of all the people who had to go to work yesterday, yes, in the terrible blizzard:
Doctors
Firemen
Police Officers
That nice Korean guy who works at my corner store.
My assistant karate teacher, Adri.
My buddy Alex, who is a lawyer, and also drove his kid to his parents house first. Slowly and carefully. With minimal whining.
The bus drivers.
The school crossing guard who greeted my kid with a big smile even though there was snow blowing in her face for two hours.
The cashiers in my local supermarket. And the pharmacy. And every other store I saw in my neighborhood, which were all open.

I could keep on going but I think you get the point.

Oh, and that poor woman who was hit by the plow? A terrible tragedy. That had nothing to do with the schools being open.

Listen, if you live out in Jersey are are currently buried under 2 feet of fresh powder you can be a little annoyed. If you live in wayoutthere Brooklyn where no plow ever dares to go, feel free to be pissed off. If you live in Park City, UT, where the average annual snowfall is 411 inches (yes you read that correctly), by all means, bitch on sisters!

But if you live anywhere in Manhattan, or Williamsburg, Brooklyn like me, or any of the other places close enough to the city that they salt and plow every few hours, go buy some boots and a hat and walk your kid to school.

Slowly and carefully of course.

Or don't. It is your choice. You don't need De Blazio to make it for you.

Oh and by the way, if your kid is so far behind that missing one day of "education" will make a difference, you have bigger problems than the snowstorm to worry about. 

You know who does have the right to complain? All the NYC public school kids. Because they got gypped out of a really awesome day of video games. Ya'll can be as angry as you want. I think I can count on one hand the number of snow days I got as a NYC kid, and it sucks! Welcome to it.

OK I am climbing down off of my soapbox now. 
Drive safely everyone. Which, in case you didn't know, means go SLOW and for goddsake stop texting!

Oh and Happy Valentines Day. If you are into that sort of thing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it