Skip to main content

If Joe Had a Hammer...

There is this boy I know. We'll call him Joe. Joe takes classes at the dojo. He is very strong and very fast, two traits that are constantly on display because Joe is never still. He cannot be still. It seems to hurt him to try. When the other kids are attempting to control their bodies (no small feat for any child), Joe is spinning in circles. Or he is lying on the floor kicking his feet. Sometimes he is making loud skreetchy sounds reminiscent of a pterodactyl. Or laughing at his own private joke. Sometimes it is all too much so he just sits down. But he is a happy kid. He is a nice kid. He likes to draw, to jump on the trampoline, to punch and kick. He really likes to punch and kick.

Joe goes to school nearby and he can't sit still there either which is something that schools frown upon. So he struggles. His dad, who seems to be a kind and patient man, is constantly frustrated with him. I don't blame him. If I had to wrangle Joe in and out of a normal daily existence I would need some serious meds. For me, not him. Although....

I am not a doctor, or a therapist, or any other kind of expert. All I am is a karate teacher. But I have seen hundreds of kids come through the dojo, all kinds of kids. Kids who someone identified as "gifted." Kids who someone else labeled with an acronym. ADHD. PPD. SPD. And other things that end with the letter D.

No one has labeled Joe. I asked the dad what his pediatrician says about him. Nothing. I asked if he had been evaluated at school. They are just getting around to it now, after being on a waitlist since September. I asked all these things not so I could know what "disease" Joe has, but so I could be a better teacher to him. Perhaps someone else, some expert, had given his dad some tips for how to reach him. Perhaps there were strategies no one had tried yet, strategies that would help Joe learn to control himself. And although I am against it in most cases and I cringe to even type it, perhaps there is something he could....take?

I am not going to diagnose Joe. Even if I were sure what his problems are (and to be honest, I am pretty sure what letters to assign to him) it would be inappropriate to put it out there on a blog for the whole world to see when no one has had the courtesy to tell the same diagnosis to his parents. And again, I am no expert. I just teach karate.

But what I will say is this. Labels are bad. They are limiting and insulting and exclusionary. No kid should be summed up in one word, or three letters, stamped like meat bound for the supermarket freezer. No kid is just smart, or lazy, or gifted, or strong, or stupid. And to have someone tell you that your child's cute mannerisms, the way he wiggles his fingers, that funny sound he makes, the way he can't stop talking about Sponge Bob, that all these things are, in fact, a sign of a PROBLEM, it must be devastating. I know its devastating because some of you are that mom, the one who heard a diagnosis., and I saw it break your heart.

But I also know this: For many of you, with that awful, scary label came help. Help when she is screaming and kicking and throwing things. Help when he is the only one in his class who still can't write his name. Help when he is always sad or always angry or always scared. And unfortunately sometimes in order to get your child the help they need you need the label, you need the piece of paper. That is just the way it is.

Joe needs help. His parents need help. And they need it now, while Joe is still young enough to not know that he needs it. Before the teasing and the bullying. Before the frustration, both his and his dad's, overflows. Before he has been punished too many times for behaviors that he really cannot control.  Before he gets left behind. I am doing the best I can but I am only one karate teacher, teaching one class for 45 minutes a week. In the grand scheme of Joe's life, I am nothing.

Yesterday a mother came into the dojo with her four year old son. "I want to sign him up for karate", she said. "He has ADHD and I am completely against medication. I did karate when I was younger and I think this will help him focus."

Good for you, mama! Not necessarily for trying to be med free (that's every mom's personal decision) but for being brave enough to make those hard choices, to try different things until you find something that works. We are all advocates for our children, no matter what needs they have, and we require every tool in the box to do our job. Even that weird screwdriver that only fits those teeny tiny screws. We need it. Every single tool. The whole box. And then some.

Someone please give Joe a screwdriver. Or a wrench. Or a hammer. At the very least he will really enjoy banging it on the floor.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it