Skip to main content

The Problem With This Guy

There is an article floating around the Internet this week about why marriage "no longer works" for the current crop of twenty-somethings. Here it is http://www.app.com/story/life/family/relationships/2015/04/06/reasons-marriage-just-work-anymore/25349495/

It is not a terrible article, really. He makes some good points about the importance of actual human connection; talking rather than texting, enjoying the moment instead of just posting pics of it. He also complains about the lack of exciting sex in a marriage and the stress of accumulating bills as if he is the first person to experience this. And then he pretty much blames social media for the failure of relationships. 

He is not totally clueless. But the problem I see over and over with this guy's generation is this constant sense of being wronged. As if the world is out to get them. As if their struggles are always something that has been inflicted on them, instead of a result of the choices they have made. As if they were the first human beings ever to have stress. 

Yes it is true that things cost more nowadays. But this? "This strain causes separation between us. It halts us from being able to live life. We're too busy paying bills to enjoy our youth. Forget going to dinner, you have to pay the mortgage. You'll have to skip out on an anniversary gift this year because those student loans are due at the end of the month. Vacations? Not happening."

Whine whine whine. Wait, you mean you can't afford to do whatever you want, whenever you want?? Welcome to adult life, buddy! Yes, you have to pay bills and sometimes you would rather go to Aruba. So you make choices. You have times of the month where you go out and other times where you cook Ramen noodles at home in your bathrobe. It called adulthood. And yeah if your version of "living life" can be encapsulated into buying dinner, buying gifts and buying vacation, you are certainly not going to be happy all the time. How about you "enjoy your youth" by going for a nice walk in the park with your wife instead of whining about all the bills you have to pay. Walking is free. Or how about you find a passion that is not simply a cliche of adult life? Go play chess or learn how to paint or take Judo or play your guitar on a bench somewhere. Go invent something new. Isn't your generation supposed to be all about going against the status quo? Well then stop trying so hard to be "normal."

And the sex thing? "Everywhere you look, there's pictures of men and women we know half naked — some look better than your husband or wife. So it becomes desirable. It's in your face every single day and changes your mindset." 

Seriously?? You see photos of pretty people on Facebook and suddenly sex with your wife is not so exciting? Did you not know there were other people in the world before the Internet existed? Women with boobs and asses and legs? Do you think you are the first man in the world to have to avoid temptation? You poor, poor baby. It turns out that there is a bit more to a sexual relationship than the thrill of someone new. There is learning about each other and growing with each other. There is being so comfortable with someone that you can try anything. There is sex that is more than just physical. There is sex that is about both of you feeling sad, sex that is celebratory, sex that is angry, and the sleepy, cozy sex that occurs first thing in the morning. And yes, there are days where you have to schedule it around work and child care, and yes even days when you aren't in the mood. Again, welcome to adulthood. Shut up!

But the thing that annoyed me most about this guy's article is the social media thing. I am SOOO sick of people blaming Facebook for their misery. Facebook is a choice. Let me say it again, in case you were too busy updating your status to hear me. 
FACEBOOK
IS 

CHOICE!
Social media has exactly as much power over your life as you give it, and not an inch more. It is not something being done to you. It is not something the world has inflicted upon you. You have to actually log in to the website to use it. 

If all those photos of your friends on the beach are making you feel bad, stop looking at them. 
If you are tired of all your conversations involving a touch screen, then make a phone call, or even better, go meet a friend for coffee somewhere.
If you feel like you are missing the moment, PUT YOUR DAMN PHONE AWAY!
No one is forcing you to post photos of your dinner.
No one is forcing you to "check-in" everywhere you go.
Your plane tickets do not come with a minimum status update requirement and it may come as a shock to you but it is actually possible to go on vacation and not document it on Facebook. 

Listen Anthony, I am sorry you are not happy with your life. But don't blame it on your "generation." Don't blame it on the world we live in now. If you don't like things, stop whining and do something about it. All those things you want; a fulfilling career, a happy relationship, enjoyable leisure time, ALL of them require getting off your butt and actually DOING something. 

Stop complaining that the world owes you a favor. 
Go out there and change the world instead. 

Of course you might have to get off of Twitter to do so.

Comments

  1. Such a satisfying post. Thanks!
    -Jennifer H.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it