Skip to main content

Something for Everyone

For the athletes in the room:
Here is the status of my "injury". The MRI spaceflight showed two herniated discs in my cervical spine, causing a pinched nerve. For those of you not in the know (and who are the type of folks who like pointless medical info for your Tuesday night bar trivia), a herniated disc basically means that the fluid that is normally inside the discs in your spine has decided to push its way outside instead. My doctor described it like a jelly donut that has some of the jelly spurting out of the little hole in its side. (Yes, he said this. Perhaps he was hungry at the time.) This not so yummy jelly can push against nerves and cause pain, numbness, weakness, etc.

He said this type of injury normally resolves itself on its own, with physical therapy and time. He said exercise is good. He also said I need to fix my terrible posture. And to stop looking down at my phone. 
When I mentioned jiu-jitsu he said sure. But judging from his blank stare, I am pretty sure he has no idea what an omoplata is. And although I love the idea of training, I do not think neck cranks and collar chokes are good for my slowly healing jelly donut. So I have decided to take a month off of BJJ and see how things are feeling. I can still do karate if I am careful. And yoga. And lots of fun exercises that look like this: 
Yeah, that is an exercise. Really. It is called a chin tuck. It is slightly less exciting than butterfly sweeps. But only slightly.

How do I feel about all this? It depends on which day you get me. Like today I got woken up at 4am by a crazy thunderstorm. My daughter was up for over an hour. I was up for at least two. And it is grey and rainy outside. My neck is sore. So it is not too hard for me to just lie around all day. You know, "healing". 

Other days I am angry and frustrated and impatient and I hate those stupid chin tucks and would give anything to be back on the mats.

But you all know how I feel about patience.

For the mommies and daddies in the room:
A picture Maya created was recently selected to be in the District 14 Art Show. Here she is with her masterpiece:


Pretty cool huh? She was one of only three kids from her school selected and she was very very proud of herself. The art show was at a local school and we were instructed to dress up for the occasion. There were refreshments, some local vendors and a live band. Her art teacher, whom Maya adores, was there. Did I mention she was very very proud of herself?

Which was nothing compared to how I felt. Maya has accomplished a lot of things in her life, but most of them do not involve being better than other kids. Usually she is just better than a younger version of herself. And I am super proud of her every time. Like when she learned how to ride a bike. And moved up to level M in reading. And when she got her green belt. And so on. 

But there is a horribly exciting and terribly toxic feeling you get when your child accomplishes something that her peers do not. When she "wins". I could easily see how one becomes a crazy pageant mom or a nutty soccer dad. Nah nah nah boo boo, my kid is better than your kid.

Thankfully I am a good mommy. Instead of telling Maya how awesome it was that she was a better artist than all of her friends, I just told her how exciting it was that her art was picked to be in the show. Especially since she claims to want to be a famous artist when she grows up. I said that someday our Facebook photos of her "first gallery opening" would be worth millions.

Go Maya! After all, someone's gotta take care of Matthew and I when we are old and crippled from all of this silly jiu-jitsu.

Off to heat my neck. Or ice it. Or roll a tennis ball on it. Or some holy water. 

Hey whatever works.

I did bake some lemon bars this morning.
Happy Thursday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it