Skip to main content

Fight the Violence, Increase the Peace

About ten years ago, a bunch of students from our dojo went on a trip to Montreal to compete in a knockdown karate tournament. Our group of fighters included two women, a couple of lower belts, a young man named Clai (now he is Sensei Clai) who later went on to become a world champion, and a young black belt named Rudie. Rudie was fast and strong and was best known for winning his fights via knockout, often by a spinning back kick. This tournament proved to be no different.

In order to get to Montreal we had rented a 16 passenger van which a few students took turns driving. (A few students did not include me. I am one of those odd NYC creatures you call "adult with no drivers license". ) As he passed through toll plazas, Rudie liked to hand his money over with this cheerful comment: "Fight the violence, increase the peace." He thought he was being funny. Inevitably, every time he did this one of us would remind him of all the people he knocked out that weekend.

But that guy Rudie, he was a really nice dude.

I would be lying if I said everyone who trains is in it for the art. Of course karate attracts some violent types, students who are in it for the blood, the thrill of the fight. To our credit, most of these types do not last long in our dojo, which is an environment that demands that you respect the guy you are hitting, perhaps even love him as if he were your brother.

Strange I know.

This is who I am. I like to put on gloves and practice throwing punches and kicks at other people. I also enjoy training in a martial art that involves choking people or twisting their arms until they tap in submission. But I am about kindness. I am about treating people the way you would want to be treated. I am about respect and love and charity (or at least if I had any money I would be). I am not religious, but if I were I would pray for everyone, especially those who are suffering.

A few days ago I shared this picture on my Facebook page:
Photo: More and more people are crossing over 
A bunch of my friends shared it too. They included an MMA fighter, multiple jiu-jitsu practitioners, and another dude who is known for his knockout kicks. All people who like a good fight, all posting a picture about love. These same people post Ghandi quotes, pictures of puppies and share stories about their children.

The truth is, most martial artists I have met are very very nice people. (Not all, of course, there are always a few bad apples in the bushel.) In fact, most of them abhor inappropriate violence and are more willing to walk away from a fight than many of the non fighters I know. Why? I think it is because we all have a more realistic view of violence, that it is ok in some situations, like to protect yourself or someone weaker from harm. That it is similar to keeping a gun in your basement, it has rules, demands respect, and is something to be taken very very seriously. Despite that choking thing, most of us do not actually like to hurt people. We like to control them on a mat or in a ring, we like to beat them at their game, but we would prefer to end the round with minimal blood and everyone happy.

So my fellow fighters, you have a responsibility. Don't prove me wrong. Be honorable. Be selfless. Do good. Do not take your training for granted and please please do not parade it around in a bar like it is a Super Bowl ring. Go against the stereotype, f&*k that, make a new stereotype. And if other people are making us look bad, share your heart. Change them.

Increase the peace.
One armbar at a time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it