Skip to main content

Gun Control


Yesterday at the playground I learned something new about myself. I no longer care about water guns. I used to care. I used to be in the camp of all toy guns are bad, if Maya wants to shoot water she can use a spray bottle (she did, its fun but not the same). But that was before I chased her around shooting water at her. That was before I taught her to hide behind a tree and poke the gun out to surprise daddy. 


Maya does not know what a real gun looks like and I doubt she understands what it actually does. Matthew and I are not gun people, we do not keep one in our house nor do we plan on ever owning one. Occasionally the bad guys in her movies carry guns but she has not seemed too interested in this. She likes karate moves and pretending to air bend. (From the Legend of Korra.) But no one can deny the appeal of sticking a water gun in mommy's face and pulling the trigger.

The argument against toy guns is of course that gun play is not nice. A toy gun fight is mimicking a scary thing where people get hurt. When our kids play at hurting each other it makes us uncomfortable. And I get this. Watching two little boys playing war is a bit creepy. Or at least, its creepy if you think of the shooting and the blood and the dead bodies and all those soldiers' families crying. 

But our kids are not thinking about this. Not here in Williamsburg (and no, not in Park Slope either). Unfortunately there are plenty of places in the world where small children see gunfire daily. The real kind. But Maya is lucky, she lives here. When she shoots water at her daddy all she is thinking about is the look on his face when she gets him wet, that he is going to run after her and get her back and how much fun is that?? When we take away water gun fights (and superhero play, and wrestling, and preschoolers chasing each other going pow pow pow!) it is because we are imposing our own discomfort on our kids, based on a knowledge of the real world that they do not have yet. 

So to all you mom's who still cringe whenever you catch yourself enjoying a Nerf battle, I am right there with you. Just take a deep breath, listen to your kid's irresistible laughter, and then go and shoot him in the face. It will be ok, I promise.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it