Skip to main content

Lessons

"You win or you learn."
Competitive athletes love to use this phrase, especially BJJ ones. And I know it sounds like a way to make the soul crushing pain of defeat a little less awful, or maybe a way to rationalize losing to your insecure brain so you don't have to actually admit that you lost. But most cliches are true, and this one is no exception.

Whether it is on the competition mat, or simply in a regular class rolling session, I have done an awful lot of losing, and learning. I got better at defending arm bars by tapping multiple times and then going back to the dojo to drill arm bar defense. I got better at guard retention after getting tired of being smashed and learning to use my feet and hands defensively. And so on. Sometimes the lessons are crystal clear. Escaped everything but failed at getting to a dominant position? Need to work on that. Got to a good position but took too long to attack? Need to work on that. They kept getting out before you could lock anything down? Time to drill finishes. These are the times where a loss is not really a loss, where you come out of a round with a whole list of things to work on for next time. These are the times where that old cliche becomes truth.

But sometimes, it is just a bad day. You are tired. Your focus is off. You make mistakes that you haven't made in months. You get caught with stuff you know perfectly well how to defend. You attempt submissions that you get all the time and they completely fall apart. These are the most frustrating kind of days, when there is no obvious takeaway, no simple drill to work on. On these days the lesson is a harder pill to swallow; just move forward. Yup, that's it. Maybe you can also come up with something small to work on, like eat a bigger breakfast, be more offensive, wear a tighter rashguard, whatever, but really the main point is to just let it go and get back on the mat.

It is even harder when that crappy day is public, when it is a competition match or your promotion day, or you are the teacher and you feel like s*it but there are still these four year olds here who want to learn how to punch and kick. Oh wait, that's just me. But you get the point, sometimes you just suck at things. And the lesson there is to remind yourself that it is just TODAY, I just suck today. Overall I am amazing at this. I am really really good at heel hooks. I have fantastic cardio. I am an amazing mom.  But today, OMG, today I am terrible at this. And then you laugh because really there is nothing funnier than how bad you can be at training when you are having an off day. Or mom-ing. Or whatever it is you do in that cubicle all day. Own it. Love it. WIN at it. Be the absolute best terrible jiu jitsu student in the room. Be the best worst employee ever. Parenting? Screen time and cookies all day! Cause I am positively killing this bad parent s*it!

And then, move on.

Here is is a photo from a tournament match that did not go well, from a day where I definitely did not live up to my expectations of myself.


And I could say that I was on vacation all week (I was) or that I had my period (I did) or even that I was not aggressive enough (very true), but I could also just say that it was an off day, one of those days where I really, really suck at jiu-jitsu, where the lesson is to simply grab your bag and go back to class.  So I drank two beers, took a nap and then made a list of things I want to work on this week. Because the best thing about competition is how little it actually matters, how it is just one day in the long, bumpy, beautiful road of this martial arts life.

I'll see you on the mats.
I might be very tired.
I'm still submitting you.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it