Skip to main content

Teen Angst

To the teenaged boy with the scooter who called me ugly this afternoon while I was waiting for my Chinese food to be ready: I don't care that you called me ugly. You did not hurt my feelings, if that was what you were going for. I am not ugly. I know that I am not ugly because I have fairly good self esteem, and with the exception of the occasional midmonth bloatfest I like what I see when I look in the mirror. I also have a husband who seems to like what he sees and a five year old who happens to think I am the bees knees. Your immature comment, meant to impress your buddies and make you feel important, did not actually affect me because I am a grownup and yes your biggest fear is true, grownups do not give a rats ass what you have to say. So I laughed and commented on how very young you are and then went upstairs to enjoy my cold sesame noodles.

But I will give you credit for one thing, poor sad teenager who thinks he knows so much, you did make me think. I mean, after I played a few useless rounds of Candy Crush Saga (STILL can't beat 65!), watched the first half of Anchorman ("Stay classy San Diego") and took a twenty minute power nap. Then you made me think. 

My husband, you know, the six foot tall guy with the karate black belt and the jiu-jitsu purple belt, who is literally double your size was right across the street when you made your funny little comment. Would you have been so brave had he been a little closer? (Forget all the crazy skills that I also possess, there was obviously no way for you to know that I too could choke you out.) And my five and a half year old. She was there too. Would you have dared to say those words in earshot of my child, which by the way would have resulted in a very, very different response from me? 

I bet you have a mother too, right upstairs. How would she feel to know that her son thinks its ok to make insulting comments at perfect strangers, adult female strangers at that? At someone's mother. And how do I raise my daughter in such a way that she always has enough respect while out with her own teenage buddies that it would never even occur to her to do that? That she has enough imagination to come up with a better way to entertain herself. That she thinks highly enough of herself that she never has to bring others down just prove her own worth.

Thank god for karate.

And then I thought of this new boy who just joined our dojo, a very sweet, respectful thirteen year old, and wondered if he was a completely different person when he was out on a summer afternoon with his friends. 
And then I wondered if you talked to other teenagers that way, to the girls in your class, even, and how they would laugh and turn away but a few of them might take your words to heart and feel a little knot in their belly all day. And how you would never even know.

And then I was reminded how very awful it is to be a teenager, to be so lost and confused and full of angst and hormones and to want so very badly for someone to give a shit what you have to say. To think you know everything about the world, when really you know so, so little.  And I realized what of course all grownups know, that the only thing that cures the problems of youth is to no longer be young.

So I just laughed at you, silly boy with your scooter, trying so hard to be intimidating. I get you. I understand. It is so so hard to be you.

However, I will be taking my daughter to the playground this afternoon. With my husband, you know, the big guy with the BJJ t-shirt. Maybe I'll see you there?

By the way, I know karate.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it