Skip to main content

To Connecticut, With Love

Whenever I see this sign in the subway station I think of the Harry Potter movies and Hermione's urgent voice reminding her friends that the staircases at Hogwarts change. I was always impressed by how camly everyone just accepts this fact. Yup, that staircase that you were currently climbing, en route to your nice warm common room, well now it goes to an abandoned floor with a scary monster on it instead. Good luck. If I were on my way to the 6 train and instead ended up in a dungeon fighting Lord Voldemort someone is hearing from my lawyer.

It is an interesting metaphor, this idea of the ground shifting under your feet, when the path you are on suddenly leads you somewhere other than where you had intended. It happens in life all the time. Sometimes it is a horrible train wreck, one that entirely obliterates the track in front of you so you have no choice but to climb and claw your way out of the wreckage and make your way on foot. Other times you can see the bump ahead and at least have time to grab a hold of something before being knocked on your ass. But no matter which way it happens, unexpected derailments are always a part of the journey. And we deal with them the best we can. We ride along. We survive. 

But sometimes the ground doesn't just shift, it explodes.

I started writing this post a few days ago and it was meant to be something about letting go, about not fearing change, about embracing the unexpected journey. Then today happened.

As a mother, I cannot think of a greater horror than what happened in Newtown, CT today. I do not know how you climb out of this wreckage. To be honest, I do not know how you even get up off the floor. Ever. 

Tonight, while putting Maya to bed, we had this conversation:
Maya : Mommy, why are you giving me so much love tonight. Are you sad?
Me: Yes I am a little sad tonight.
Maya: Why?
Me: I heard a sad story today.
Maya: What was it?

Me: Some kids who live in another place got hurt today. And it made me think of how much I love you and how lucky I am to have you.
Maya: I love you too, Mama.

I won't get into how I feel about guns in this country right now. (Although I am sure there will be another post coming soon on that very topic.) Or what I think of mental illness. I won't tell you how sorry, how unbelievably, gut wrenchingly sorry I am for those parents. I won't tell you about the feeling I get in my stomach whenever I think about that Kindergarten classroom. I don't have to tell you. I am sure you know.




I will tell you that I lit a candle tonight and, although I don't believe in God, in my own way I said a prayer for those families. And cried for them. And hugged my own baby extra tight.


As a writer, I usually can put my two cents in on every story. About this, I don't really know what to say. I don't know how to do this tragedy justice, to properly honor those children and to let the people of Newtown, CT know that our hearts are with them.. Thankfully, The Onion does. 

"Americans reported feelings of overwhelming disgust with whatever abhorrent bastard did this and with the world at large for ever allowing it to happen, as well as with politicians, with the NRA, and above all with their own pathetic goddamn selves, sitting in front of a fucking computer instead of doing fucking anything to help anyone—Christ, as if that were even fucking possible, as if anyone could change what happened, as if the same fucking bullshit isn’t going to keep happening again and again and fucking again before people finally decide it’s time to change the way we live..." http://www.theonion.com/articles/fuck-everything-nation-reports,30743/

Yeah that.

Those parents will get through this. Somehow, they will survive. But we, as a society, have to do something. Twenty children are dead. Twenty children went to school this morning and did not come home. How is anything, anything more important than preventing this?

We cannot just wait for the ground to shift, we need to move it ourselves.

Hug your kids tight tonight.
Peace and love.
And love.
And love.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it