Skip to main content

In My Dreams

I am currently reading a great book on parenting called Nurture Shock. http://www.nurtureshock.com/. The book is being passed (both literally and verbally) around many of the moms (and dads) I know and was recommended to me by the mom of one of Maya's best friends. I am not going to talk about the book, although I cannot promise there will not be a whole slew of Nurture Shock posts in the future, (It is that thought provoking) but its Sunday. Best to not climb too far up on my soapbox on this day of rest and family and football.

So instead I am going to tell you about the dream I had last night.

It took place at Maya's school. Matthew and I and a bunch of other parents were in her kindergarten classroom in a meeting with her teacher. I am not sure where all the kids were. (Probably running, unsupervised, in a gym somewhere. Lord of the Flies is great.) The teacher was lecturing us on school choice, testing, sleep patterns, and other topics that were clearly in my subconscious based on the book I was reading prior to bed. I don't remember much else from the dream, however, right as I was waking up she said something like this, "If you do not get your child into the right school; the most challenging, most prestigious, most innovative, right in the beginning of their education, then you have missed your chance."

Yes I occasionally have dreams like this. I also have a reoccurring dream that I am late to teach karate class and all the kids are milling around waiting. Then there is the dream where I have already graduated college and realize that there is one class I never took and now I have to go back. And the one where I am running to catch a train. And the one where things (bombs, planes, UFOs) are falling from the sky.

Hello Freud.

It does not take an expert to analyze this one. Maya goes to a very good public school. But it is not the "best in the city". She is not in a "gifted class". She does not go to Poly Prep or Berkeley Carroll or any of the other places where rich Brooklynites fight to get their kids into. Clearly a part of my subconscious is worried about the choice we made.

But was the dream version of Mrs. Rodriguez correct? If Maya is not in the best school in all of NYC now, in Kindergarten, have we somehow ruined her chances forever?

Hundreds of NYC parents believe this. Just ask anyone who is trying to get into The Mandell School, or Dalton, or any of the G&T programs on the Upper West or Lower East Side, or even the ever growing charter school network. Hundreds, probably thousands,  of parents believe that where their child goes for Pre-K will determine where they go to college. That having the right Kindergarten teacher means the difference between mediocrity and brilliance.

But what if it doesn't.

If you read Nurture Shock you know that there have been many significant studies done about the detrimental effect of too much praise, specifically the wrong kind of praise. That telling a child over and over how smart and gifted they are can actually make them do worse in school. (You're right, I broke my promise. Just read it.)

Some things definitely matter. Class size matters.  http://www.classsizematters.org/. Poverty matters. Safety matters. Parent involvement matters. Only 48% of young children in the US are read to at home. http://www.reachoutandread.org/parents/readingaloud/readingaloud.aspx. This matters.

I am no expert but I would guess that when you add up all the other factors,  the difference between a good school and the "best" school is negligible. Or at the very least, nowhere near worth the stress, the maneuvering and the bribery that often goes into becoming one of the elite.

In other words, there are better things to dream about.

Are YOU an expert? Prove me wrong. Send me studies. I am too lazy to do the research myself. It is Sunday after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 20th

I am going to tell you a secret.  The name of your school does not matter. The patch you wear on your uniform does not matter. The belt you tie around your waist, the color of your gi, the medals on your wall, none of these things matter.  All that matters is the sweat on the floor. Period. I am not saying that you should not be proud of those things. You earned them and they deserve to be celebrated.  I am not saying that all dojos are the same. They aren't. But none of that matters. What matters is that you did one more pushup that night. When you thought you were done, you did one more.  What matters is that you kept fighting, even though he had you pushed up against the wall and for a moment there you were pretty sure he forgot who you were. He certainly forgot how small you were, yet you kept fighting, or at least you kept your hands up and waited for the bell to ring. You didn't quit. What matters is that you went to class. When you would really rather be on

Failure to Progress

This morning I woke up thinking "Hey it has been awhile since I have written a blog post. Lets do that!" (Well to be honest, my first thought was "Cofffeeeeee." But after that it was all about writing.) It is Thursday, which means it is a BJJ day for me. I took class yesterday so my neck is a bit sore (spider guard) but nothing is too banged up. I really like my new school and I am looking forward to going to class today. So its going to be a great training day! Right? As I was weaving my hair into as many braids as possible in the hopes of it surviving rolling today, I had an idea for what I wanted to write about. In December it will be five years of BJJ for me. Yet sometimes I still am not sure why I am doing it. Despite hours and hours on the mats, I am still pretty bad at it. I still get tapped by white belts who are much bigger than me. I still forget every drill within a week of learning it. I am still not sure exactly what the point of all this is. Is it

Dear Ronda Rousey

I am not into celebrities. If you want to know what Snooki named her baby, or who in Tinseltown got married and divorced this weekend, don't ask me. I do not consider the people prancing around on my television role models for my daughter, representatives for women-kind, or at all relevant to real life in any way. So twerk away Miley, I do not care. But I am a martial artist. I learn arm bars and rear naked chokes. I throw punches and knee kicks. I work on traditional katas and do pushups and try to pass the guard and sweet Jesus, I even occasionally throw low kicks which other people check with their shins. (  http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ufc-20131229,0,7356884.story#axzz2os6WWXVl ) I am not a professional fighter. But I am a woman who loves to fight. And as such, I was thrilled when Dana White finally allowed female fighters into the Octagon. Seeing you armbar Liz Carmouche was incredible. And I could watch you Judo toss people onto the mat all day long. You are a tr